I am from music notes,
from sequined costumes and ballet shoes.
I am from the backyard,
I am from swingsets and sidewalk chalk,
I am from night bicycle rides.
I am from church on Christmas eve and cookies,
from unwrapping everything on my wishlist.
I am from the kids' table,
from loud chatter and even louder laughter.
I am from playing late night cards.
I am from "I walked to school uphill both ways."
I am from Margaret's house,
from splitting my chin and split pea soup.
I am from shots fired and a folded flag,
from sugar bars and loving arms.
I am from mischieveous gray kittens,
and dark basements.
I am from broken reeds,
and shaking knees.
I am from spinning silk,
and blinding smiles.
I am form "toes pointed,"
and "chin up."
I am from pride, dedication, and tradition.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Brittney,
ReplyDeleteI loved your poem! I can just imagine all of these things! I can just imagine your parents saying that about walking to school! Funny! Parents always say these things.
I also loved this:
I am from Margaret's house,
from splitting my chin and split pea soup.
Anna talks about split pea soup, too, and Katie Schanou, one of Margaret's first kids, wrote about that way back in 1994. She didn't like that soup at all!! :)
Great poem!
Mrs. E
nice job brittney! your poem makes me smile and cringe as I remember my own babysitter and of course, band. i love how you designed it too!
ReplyDelete